Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Broken News: Citadel Finecast

Here's a quick little article for everyone. Following in a timely fashion after my article on new Plastic Tau Kits, comes news of Citadel's Finecast product line. This is going to be the replacement to the now out of production pewter models, but what its made of, I don't think anyone quite knows yet. The obvious candidate is resin, though the folks at my local flagship store are on record as saying that GW seems to want to leave that lot to Forge World. We'll apparently be finding out more of the details on May 23rd, and depending on whether or not I've uploaded any additional articles in the meantime, I may just edit the details into this one.

Regardless here's the link to the teaser article on Games Workshop's website, and here's a link to a list of first wave releases, courtesy of Gifts for Geeks.

The first wave is a mix of LoTR, Warhammer Fantasy and 40k models, seeing as how the pewter cancelation has affected all of GW's lines. A keen eye may have noticed two things. The first is that only two Tau units made it into the list, that being the Ethereal with Honor Blade, and the Tau Sniper Drone Team. The only thing I think we can really take away from this is that with the exclusion of Pathfinder and Vespid units, the rumor indicating they have plastic kits ready to go has certainly been lent some credibility. The second tidbit presented to us by the list, is the absence of any Necron or Sisters of Battle units – not a single one. There are a lot of ways that could be interpreted, but I think the most common line of thinking will say that it's evidence those two armies have recently undergone a model review, like the kind often associated with impending releases, and with a line up that would have been in flux, were simply ignored for this first wave of Finecast products.

Whatever the case, it's really too soon to tell anything for certain yet, perhaps the information that comes out in the next few days will clear up some of the mystery. Take care folks, and as always, thanks for reading!

Update May 23rd
Games Workshop's new blog went up today, and after a week of speculation, not a lot of surprises in there. One thing is official now, the Finecast line up is Resin, which just goes to show, never trust your local Flagship store to know anything.

The blog pretty much exists as one long pat on the back GW felt it needed, probably in light of the brutal criticism the recent price hikes have thrown their way. That topic aside, the models look good, and I think thats the key take away point. Personally, I'm not a fantastic painter, and my eye for detail only goes so far, despite this, I can't help but wonder, with models like the Blood Angel's Sanguinary Guard being as detailed as they are (remembering just how tiny these things are to begin with), was there really a need to jump to another median?
Citadel Finecast
Standard Plastic












Well there it is folks, anyone interested in a resin Ethereal? No...? What about a Sniper Drone Tea... no, not that either? Well then. 

5 comments:

Jacob said...

Yeah, I generally think the GW posts about Finecast have really been one-sided. They have yet to do a side by side comparison of one of the old metal models! I personally love resin as opposed to metal, so I ain't complaining. I am curious about that Resin Ethereal since I have the same one, but in metal.

Pillar said...

I just so happen to have picked up a new Ethereal yesterday, I only wish I had had the foresight and revenue to pick up a metal model before hand for a side by side. Regardless, I'll be posting a picture of this little brute shortly, I just have had my mind bent on another project today, or it would have been up already. Stay tuned, I guess, haha.

Jacob said...

I actually have that same metal Ethereal, so maybe I can send you a picture if you need it. Although I think the sucker is base-coated grey at this point...

Unknown said...

I went in the day they released these guys, and after all I've read on the Finecast, I was expecting WAY much more fine detail. I suppose that is mostly an indication of my expectations however.

I prefer to work with plastic/resin than metal, so I approve of phasing out the metal bits for something else and since resin is cheaper to manufacture than pewter, one would expect a price drop rather than increase. Presumably an increase in cost is because of the greater detail which I was unable to detect at a glance without a comparison.

What bugs me most though is that since the Finecast is confirmed as an outright replacement for the metal guys, they have removed all metal from the stores.

However, that means that at the moment we are unable to purchase the following without special ordering it from the site:

Krootox, Kroot Shaper and Kroot Hounds
Battlesuit Commander
Broadsides
Any special characters
Pathfinders
Vespids
Shield Drones

I've been in to the store a couple times this week to buy paints and wanted to grab a unit of some sort, only to find out they had metal components and were not in stock, potentially until we see the second phase of Finecast come out.

Unknown said...

A few weeks late out the door, but I finally cracked open the Finecast Librarian in Terminator Armor I picked up as a one-off painting project and realized why I felt so underwhelmed by the Finecast quality.

http://imageshack.us/g/580/007smallx.jpg/

The first three photos are the one I bought at first, and seems indicative of the general quality of ALL of the finecast I looked at. I went in and a very nice GW guy swapped it out for a replacement for me. He had to go through 2 of them before finding one he felt comfortable giving me, and while it was better, the last photo in the gallery shows what I still had to deal with.